Virgin Mobile on Wednesday announced its new approach to the wireless industry: Go iPhone-only and offer a year’s worth of service for $1 as well as perks from other Virgin companies.
Virgin Mobile’s website already reflects the change. Pre-orders start today with shipments expected to start on June 27.
Virgin Mobile currently lists the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone SE, and the iPhone 6 as part of the program.
The best deal of the bunch is for the iPhone SE, priced at $279 for the 32GB model. Before taxes and fees, you could sign up for a year of service and purchase an iPhone for $280.
On the higher end of the spectrum, a 32GB iPhone 7 with a year of service will set you back $650 (before taxes).
As a Virgin Mobile subscriber, users will be enrolled in the company’s new Inner Circle program. Inner Circle members will have the following perks:
- A round-trip companion ticket to the UK on Virgin Atlantic
- One night’s stay at Virgin Hotels (buy two nights, third is free)
- $170 savings on an introductory offer to Virgin Wines Club
- Up to 20-percent off flights on Virgin America
- 20-percent off on the Virgin Sport San Francisco Festival of Fitness (Oct. 13 to Oct. 15)
Naturally, there’s some fine print you need to know about. In particular, you’ll need to port your phone number into Virgin Mobile in order to take advantage of the $1 promotion.
After the promotional service period ends, users can expect to pay $50 per month for unlimited talk, data, and text. Users who use over 23GB of data per month could experience slower service during peak times.